Thursday, January 17, 2008

The fashion police have been alerted...

I'm risking death by posting this.
It's a good thing she doesn't know my blog address.
Here's my beautiful daughter, Emma. She is criminally infashionable. She may even be fashionably insane. It's that bad.
In this particular photo, she is wearing a bathing suit, red sweatpants, and brown faux-leather knee high boots. I find it necessary to add that the tags are still on the suit.
When she was a toddler, she love to throw on half her clothes and play dress up. We laughed at her wacky combinations, saying how much we would miss her sense of style as she grew up.
Apparently she hasn't grown out of that phase. Maybe she never will.
I'm trying my best to guide her into making good choices without coming off as the overbearing mother who picks out her 10 year old's clothes daily. I think we are making progress, and then she choses to wear this. All day. Sigh.
Yesterday during Evan's soccer practice we ran up to Plato's Closet to return the jeans I had bought her. No refunds, only exchanges, so we had to browse thru the store to find $33 worth of something to take home. She doesn't need any shirts, but these are so much easier to shop for. She can conceivably wear a juniors size small or medium, because they are making the tops so short & snug (don't even get me started), they fit a 10 year old frame perfectly. This is so not right, but not the topic at hand.
We ended up taking home 3 shirts, all of which are very cute, stylish, and way too grown up for her. One was Juicy Couture. I kid you not. Very cute & sporty, not at all slutty. But still.
Today she paired up this green/green striped low cut hoodie with a purple tank (with beading on the top), brown denim Limited Too pants, and tennis shoes.
The sarcastic person in me wanted to scream "MY eyes! My eyes!", but I was kind and just told her she was very colorful today. And then I sprinted out of the room.
I know I am not a fashionista. I don't claim to be. I love my Uggs, my Crocs, my Life is Good tees and my hoodies. But I am not a 10 year old girl in the harsh world of 5th grade. I don't want the other kids to start picking on her and lowering her self esteem.
Is there a fashion camp nearby?
And don't even get me thinking about her hair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahh so she's got an ecelectic sense of style-that's okay she's an original. she may grow out of it or into it one way or the other it is going to take patience on your part. it would drive me crazy too-no doubt.