Sunday, February 17, 2008

quiet on the homefront

That screaming sound you hear inside your head is real.
It's Bart, trapped in a motel room in Gaylord with his dad & our two kids.

I was going to write a long post about my 3 day home-alone vacation, about the utter quietness, about doing nothing, and my cell phone just rang.
The plan was to snowmobile for 2 days, come home on Tuesday. This was something that was going to be a lasting memory for Em & Ev, and a way to spend time with their dad & grandpa doing something he loves. Something he has always wanted them to do with him. Something that until recently, was unthinkable.
They left in the midst of a huge rainstorm/ warm up. The start of the trip was not a good omen, as Fred's truck & trailer got stuck on the ice trying to turn around.
They've arrived, and the news is bleak. They aren't riding today...it's raining up north. The motel they are staying at, a "good guy" place according to my FIL is your basic 2 full sized beds dump. Tiny. Old. The better rooms are up a flight of ice covered stairs, so therefore inaccessable. Bart made cocoa for the kids and Emma burned her tongue. It's only a matter of time before someone loses it.
Funny, that I had plans in my head of how this trip was going to go. Of how much fun they would have, all the stories of riding and pictures of them in their suits. And now I'm just bummed. I don't know that there is any part of this trip that will be salvageable, and it just makes me sad. And frustrated.

No comments: