Tuesday, July 1, 2008

menage-a-frog

Let me just say, I love nature and creatures in general. NOT a huge fan of snakes and spiders, but I tolerate everything else. But there has been some weird stuff going on around my yard.
This is our menage-a-frog, or as the kids call it, the 'triple stack'.
Why do we have 3 frogs glued together? Are they even frogs, or are they toads? Are they male or female? Where did they come from? Why won't they leave the poor frog in the middle alone? When will the madness end?
They have been floating like this since Saturday. Every once in awhile the one in the middle gives a feeble little kick (it's legs are longer). If you attempt to touch them or get near them, they chirp at you. Yes, chirp. I know, because I tried to pry them apart. I was only able to get the frog off the tummy of the middle frog. The big frog them promptly hopped into the bushes with the other one on it's back still.
The displaced frog has been 'crying' all night. He's probably calling all neighborhood frogs to take me down.
before they formed the triple stack, two of them did this-
strings and strings and strings of tadpoles. In the 48 hours since the strings appeared, the string part has disintegrated and the tadpoles are swmming all over. Millions of little black eyelash sizes flecks, which will soon be frogs. Or toads. Uh-oh.

Have you been outside lately? I don't know about you, but we have killer mosquitos in our yard. I am not exaggerating. When we were buzzing Evan last night, we had to take OFF! breaks several times. I spent a few hours pulling weeds and spreading mulch today and the little suckers were just brutal. Emma & Evan walked down to the river at my mom's house and they were both covered in welts.
Add mosquitos to the list of creatures I don't like!

2 comments:

knitting elephant said...

I hope someone can answer all your questions, cause I sure can't! Weird. :-)

Benita said...

Can we say threesome? :) I know nothing about frogs/toads, so I can't help you there. But yep, I agree with you about the mosquitos! I bet they're loving all the rain we've been having!