Thursday, April 17, 2008

it's a totally gorgeous spring day

FINALLY! I was beginning to give up hope. I spent some time out in the garden today scooping up the mounds of leaves that drifted into the yard sometime over the winter. Cutting back the dead stuff so that the new growth can peek through, and draining and scrubbing the pond. 
The kids had a half day today, so Emma & I set up the hammock so that she could read outside in the sun. I bought them a few new books at the school book fair (their report cards & conferences were stellar, I could hardly say no to a few new books) and she has been reading ever since. I doubt the book will last until bedtime!
I had to drain the pond about three quaters of the way, because the stupid ducks will NOT stay out of it. I keep treating the algae, and they keep pooping and tossing dirt into the water and it was beyond gross.
I found this piece of netting in the garage and thought, "what the hell". It doesn't cover the entire surface, but so far the ducks have not tried to get in. HA! Take that, Homer & Marge.
I love having the windows open and feeling the breeze blow thru the house. The gurgling water, chirping birds and windchimes all add to the overall happiness.
Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How I would love to have a hammock and a book....
And the pond... as soon as I saw it I pictured 8 little feet splashing in it.

Stacy said...

Love your pond Sue!!

Just FYI...when I was in FL, they had (clear)fish line strung all over way above the pool to keep the birds out, and it worked! You might try it over your pond?