Wednesday, December 3, 2008

FO-knit/felted palm tree

I had this idea that I wanted to make a knit palm tree and cover it with Christmas lights, but couldn't find a pattern. After toying with it for the past week, this is what i came up with!
Here are the palm fronds & center piece.
and now they're attached. There are 8 total, staggered all over the little beanie.
this is the completed tree pre-felting. I love the ribs on the trunk...it looks realistic. It's also very top heavy. Part of the reason to felt!
All felted and drying! My plan is to stuff the base maybe with some wire or even a candle, and then I have some mini light sets that I'm going to string on it. Hopefully it will be strong enough to stand. If not, I'll have to come up with plan B.
I think I'm going to give this to my Dad for Christmas.

3 comments:

knitting elephant said...

Very cool! Nice work... do post pics once it's fully decorated!

Brooke S. Rochon said...

While VERY cool and inventive, picture #3 looks HIGHLY inappropriate. You say it's ribbed huh?

taraknits said...

Love this!! Adorable!!