Wednesday, June 25, 2008

wee little friend in my garden

I'm not huge fan of rodents in general, but Bart discovered this tiny little white mouse eating birdseed in my garden the other day. She's cute!
I was standing no more than three feet away from the mouse the entire time, and she didn't seem bothered by my presence. I didn't notice the red eyes until I downloaded the photos.
Our little visitor is no bigger than my thumb and lives under the green & yellow bush. You would think that a terrier on the premesis would be enough to keep the mice away, but you would be wrong. Every once in awhile we get little field mice in the basement, and they pop up under the potting bench. But I've never seen a white one!
Emma has named her 'Missy', because everything has to have a name if it crosses into our yard. She checks several times a day to see if Missy is out, and likes to put out nibbbles of things for her to eat. Naturally, Buddy gets many of the treats. He's bigger, he wins.
Uh-oh! Someone else has spied our little friend. Ben stays glued to this spot about 20 hours a day when we have the doors open. He's like a small version of the bear rug by the fireplace. He probably saw the mouse way before we did.
Tomorrow Emma (I mean 'I') am hosting a craft party for 2 of her friends. Way back when I mentioned something about doing tye-dye tees and it stuck in her brain. We went to Michael's yesterday to buy the rest of the supplies she thinks she wants to do 4 different crafts. Someone shoot me. Actually, she used her own money & gift cards she got for her birthday last September, so she is paying for 99% of it. We'll see how it goes. I think one of her invitees isn't a big crafter, and this may wreak havoc on Emma's plans. She'll have to get over it!
Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

knitting elephant said...

Ummm... Good luck? I'm sure the party will go very well, and with luck, the non-crafter won't create trouble for anyone. :-)

Creative ADD said...

What a sweet little mouse. So, how did Craft Day go?

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I want a mouse!

Benita said...

I wonder if that mouse is someone's pet that got lost? He looks too cute to be just a wild rodent.

Kache said...

Awww, Ben watching the mouse is awesome. He's probably thinking, just crack the screendoro just a little...