Monday, May 4, 2009

I am the least popular person in my house right now

I will survive.
I will survive.
I will survive. (sing it with me)

Emma is furious with me because I won't let her have the next book in a series she started to read. Her Dad bought her the book in Cinci, when I was out shopping with a friend. He asked me for book shopping advice, and my best advice was to randomly flip thru and check the language for swearing and sexy talk. They chose a book, she liked it, wants to read the next book.

I flipped thru the book last night, and on every page I looked at were swear words. I'm not a prude. I do my fair share of swearing. I read books with swearing and sex talk. I watch tv shows with swearing and sex talk. But I don't necessarily think my 11 year old daughter needs to.

And she doesn't like it one bit.

So instead of just accepting it, she won't speak to me. Acts like I'm not around. Which I don't like at all but I'm willing to accept. I don't have to be popular. But she does have to be civil to me, because I am her mother and have her best interests at heart.

Sometimes it sucks to be the mom!!

4 comments:

Sharyn said...

stay strong mom!!!

Emily said...

oh bummer. She'll be mad, but when she's 30 she'll know it was the right decision ;) Speaking from experience.

SAR girls said...

Lessons learned are tough...for both the mom & the DD!

Jen on the Edge said...

Ooh, that's a tough one. Hang in there.

Grace has started doing things like glaring at me, then barely acknowledging my existence. She pulled that crap on Friday and I looked her dead in the eye and said, "If you continue on this course of action, I *will* remember this the next time you want something from me."