Friday, November 6, 2009

Just call me Martha. Or Betty. Or PW.

The last few days I have experimenting with some new foods for dinner. Blame it on Ree Drummond. I got her brand spanking new cookbook the other day, and ever since, all I have done is drool and dream of 'cowboy food'.
The first thing I did was run out and buy the ingredients to make pico de gallo. Pico is one of my great loves, and I never understood that the key to pico perfection is perfect portions (try saying that three times fast!) Equal amounts of tomatoes, onion and cilantro and you are one step closer to Nirvana.
I had to stop reading the cookbook, because I was literally getting nothing else done. But I want to make her cinnamon rolls so badly it hurts.
Instead, I turned to this months Everyday Food magazine, which is chock full of deliciousness! On Tuesday I made the chili rubbed flank steak with polenta & cabbage. The steak was a major hit, but neither kid liked the polenta. I thought it was tasty. Last night I made the pork and soba noodle salad. I made mine hot. The kids devoured it. Made that third trip to find soba noodles worthwhile!
Today I baked the pumpkin spice cake with honey frosting. My house smells fantastic. I can't wait to dive into it tonight. If it lasts that long!

3 comments:

SAR girls said...

yum.

Jen on the Edge said...

Mmmmmmmm...

Julie L said...

you need to come on over to my house.... I need a cook these days even more than a house cleaner ..... that's saying a lot. I'm totally uninspired with food these days... I was thinking I wanted one of these books.