Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hello, June!

It's June and I must finally face the realization that school is out in 16 days! Yikes! I am not ready to have both kids home 24/7.
We had a beautiful Memorial weekend. It was hot, but we didn't let that slow us down any! Bart & I spent many hours working in the yard/garden, and I must say it's looking pretty good right now! I still have a few things to plant, and some space to fill up, but for today I am content with our efforts.
Here is a shot looking from the back corner of our yard up toward the patio. Under the Magnolia tree are the tomatoes...
and we have our very own bird family in the yellow bird house too! I was hearing a new bird song, and saw this cute little bird with twigs in her beak fly in and out of the house. Em researched it, and they are kinglets. They have been a lot of fun to watch.
Here's a closer shot with the pond. In the lower pond are cattails that are taller than I am, and we had a second tadpole event. Now the water is filled with tadpolios of 2 sizes...we are going to have a thousand toads!
This is the left side of the patio looking toward the birch tree and where the hammock resides. I spent 2 relaxing hours there yesterday, just reading, dozing, and swinging with Lola. It was wonderful.
A shot of my potting bench. The blue canopy isn't usually here...we had it up for planting and company over the weekend, and haven't taken it down yet.
And here is a view from the hammock across the back of the house. It's the shadiest part of the yard. I am learning to find interesting plants for this area that aren't the usual hostas and impatiens. I also learned that now is the perfect time to get covered in birch seeds if you sit here for very long!
Of course there is still a bunch more work to do, but the hotter it gets, the less I want to do. I still need to clear out the area under the bay window to plant my scraggly, overgrown cukes. Tomorrow is another day!

2 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

Oh my gosh, what a paradise! I'd love to just sit and admire everything for hours.

Jan C. said...

Wow, your garden is gorgeous.

I can't believe your kids still have a couple of weeks of school. What's up with that? My son is finishing up today, and the high school kids finish tomorrow. Then they are home till Aug. 25!