Monday, December 6, 2010

Ductal Carcinoma in Situ

Well, the news isn't what I'd hoped for, but it's not worst-case scenario either.

In my right breast, I have DCIS, ductal carcinoma in situ. The earliest form of breast cancer. It's not life threatening, but can develop into cancer if left untreated.

From the Mayo Clinic: Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) is considered the earliest form of breast cancer. In DCIS, abnormal cells multiply and form a growth within a milk duct of your breast. DCIS is noninvasive, meaning it hasn't spread out of the milk duct to invade other parts of the breast.

My type is classified as cribriform, or low grade. I can't tell from the report if my margins are good or not good enough.

I will meet with an oncologist, a radiologist & my surgeon to determine my course of treatment. It may be radiation. It may be tamoxifen. It may be more surgery, up to and including mastectomy. I will most likely need radiation on my left breast as well, although the phyllodes tumor and the DCIS are completely different diagnoses. It seems really weird to me that two completely different but distructive things are going on in my body at the same time.

I am a little freaked out. I mean, the news isn't good but not the worst either. Almost 100% of treated DCIS cases are cured. Good odds! I guess what's freaking me out is the constant thought in the back of my mind as to whether it will come back. I want to treat it and be done with it. I don't want it lingering around to torment me.

Onto the next round!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Sue, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this but so happy it was caught very early and can be treated. Sending big hugs to you. I'm thinking about you a ton...

Jen on the Edge said...

Oh no, this is not good news. I'm really sorry to hear this.

On the other hand, I am happy to hear that it's the earliest form of the cancer, so it was caught quickly. That's good. And the cure rate is excellent, so that's fabulous.

When is your meeting with the oncology team?

Hang in there.